Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My Isolated Cairo Life

Someone asked me to write about living in Cairo. I thought about it briefly and thought that my life's not so interesting, even with living in another country.

Here's a short list about what's different for me living in Cairo as opposed to living in the U.S. (where I was born and raised).

--I don't have a car and I commute to work on a (private) bus.
--I don't have a washing machine, so I send my laundry out.
--I can get nearly anything delivered to my house (and I take advantage of that).
--Most people speak a language other than English; that can make some tasks a bit daunting.
--It's difficult to mail a package (and as difficult to get one; and one that's fully in tact).

The view from my apartment building in Cairo.

That about covers it. I guess people would be more impressed to learn about the many things that ARE available in Cairo. You can get most things that you want and need; or some variation of it.

Some days I think ... Cairo gets a bad rap. It's often called the city of contrasts; and that's a fitting title. But most days for me, I can sit in my comfortable apartment in what's been called a 'ritzy' neighborhood (Zamalek), take the private bus to my nice teaching job at a prestigious university and life is just fine; I could be in any city. And that's my life.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Lori said...

What a great view! Is it lit at night? I'm not sure I'm buying the "isolated" description, lol, perhaps "limited" is more like it, ;-). Seems to me you've been keeping yourself plenty busy and engaged while you've been there. Just call me "jealous."

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

I do like the view. No, it is not lit at night, but some other buildings in the distance are.

I just think that my life in Cairo is not as exotic and different than my life was in the U.S. I go out to eat, I meet friends and we hang out. Same, same. But yes, definitely keeping busy. Too busy in fact to write a review of your book "A Natural Woman".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home