Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Egyptian Way :: #Jan25 Protests Photo Essay

The Egyptian Way :: #Jan25 Protests Photo Essay

I've been living and working in Cairo for two years and I'd just returned to Cairo and specifically from a Nile Cruise when the #Jan25 protests broke out earlier this year.

Although I was in Cairo on Tuesday, January 25th, I didn't go to Tahrir Square until Friday, January 28th - the truth of the matter is I was having my apartment painted and the job had been rescheduled numerous times over a three month period; I had planned my entire holiday break around getting my apartment painted. So I sat at home and while the painters painted, I monitored the protest activity on my laptop, mostly via Twitter. But then ... from Friday, January 28th until Friday, February 11th, me and my friends went to Tahrir nearly every day and all day.

Despite being a former journalist and a professor teaching journalism, I haven't written much about my experience going to Tahrir. I have lots of mixed emotions, but I've finally pulled something together.

I'm thinking that this is just one version of this photo essay.  I have hundreds of images to sift through and I also have some sound and a few interviews.

But this is where I begin ...

You can also view a larger version of the #Jan25 Photo Essay.


Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Katie said...

Kim, this is fantastic. Thank you for creating it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home