Thursday, October 14, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: "Before I Forget" by Leonard Pitts, Jr.

BOOK REVIEW: "Before I Forget" by Leonard Pitts, Jr. (2009)

This book was a selection for my reading group, which much of the reading I do is for. Love those girls. Been together for over ten years, probably more like 15 years.

At 336 pages, this was a nice-sized book. But I popped it open anyway only to close it up tight quite quickly. If you've read the book, you shouldn't be surprised that it's majorly depressing; I couldn't take it. I know some of the people - at least I know someone like many of the characters in the book. So maybe the 'depression' is dealing w/those kinds of characteristics in real life is exhausting; I didn't feel like having that heaviness in my life and reading about it too. So I had to take a time out. I put the book down for 3-5 days.

But I was somehow drawn to Mo. I did not like his smugness, but I liked his honesty. How can you be smug and honest? Well, he was never both at the same time.

Anyway, (SPOILER ALERT) I have a post on Good Reads that you all should be able to access.
Additionally, I've crafted this sort of reading guide (as a mindmap) to try to address some of my concerns and issues with the book. I felt that at many times in the book, Pitts did a very good job of covering the little details, but at the end, I felt I came away with too many loose ends dangling.

NOTE: You can use your cursor to move the map (much like a Google map). Also, if you place your cursor over the smaller boxes (the ones w/the lines in them), the additional information will pop up.









Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home