Thursday, March 05, 2009

BOOK REVIEW: "Water for Elephants"

BOOK REVIEW: "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen

At some point, someone recommended that I read this book. I'd been thinking about it for some time. Then one day a few weeks again, I was in the library and there it was. I thought why not.

Now, I have this thing about not reading book jackets or reviews so I really did not know what the book was about. But when there's the word 'elephants' in the title, well what could it be about? Well, here was my rationale: it surely can't be about elephants.

So I begin to read ... then I think: it surely can't be about a circus for the entire book.

Wow, I thought if the book continued to be about the circus, then I could surely lose interest.

But no, Gruen writes so well. This book is going to be a great movie. I've even cast Walter, but I can't remember the guys name from the movie when the main character moves into a train depot and wants to be left alone, but ends up befriending several folks in the town. I digress ... but I see a movie in the future.

Oh and Jacob ... I loved the carmudgeony Jacob. He was so endearing, but not. He was sort of mean, but his emotions were justified.

I am so glad that I started and finished this book because it was a slow start. And there are lots of pages. 335 to be exact. But there are just enough twists and turns that it kept me engaged.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Okay, no book jackets and no reviews? How do you decide what you want to read?

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Someone did recommend it. I take recommendations to heart. If it's not good and you recommend it, you have to endure my life long bickering about how bad I thought it was. I think book jackets sometimes give too much away. Same for reviews. Not always, but sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home