Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Visit to The American University in Cairo Main Campus

Can you image accepting a job in another country and you've never been there to visit? Well, that's exactly what I did w/my acceptance of a teaching position at The American University in Cairo (AUC) in Cairo, Egypt.

I stepped out on faith on this one. So far, I have few complaints because AUC really knows how to take care of their faculty and staff.

What's not to like about my teaching schedule for Fall: Sundays and Wednesdays and meetings on some Tuesdays. On Sundays and Wednesdays I have 10 a.m., 11 a.m and 2 p.m. courses. I'll probably do office hours on Sundays and Wednesdays and possibly on Tuesdays too.

Check out my recent slide show on my first visit to The American University in Cairo main campus:

Now, let me give you a bit of background on AUC. It's been around for a while; 90 years to be exact. Last year, they relocated from the historic campus in downtown Cairo to an all new campus that is about an hour from downtown. From what I've heard, the transition to the new campus was a bit bumpy.

The school does provides free shuttle service to new campus. There are lots of restaurants and food options on campus including a Cinnabon. But traveling to the new campus is like going to a resort. You'll need to have the following items:
  • sunscreen
  • sun hat
  • water
  • book or newspaper to read on the shuttle
And much like many American buildings, the air conditioning is at the freezing level ... so, I'll keep a sweater in my office if it gets too cold indoors. Oh, and I'm afraid of what happens during sand storms on the new campus since there's lots of open space ...

We also have a good amount of holidays both Muslim holidays and traditional Western holidays like Christmas.

That said ... enjoy the slide show! Thanks for stopping by.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger April Baer said...

Sandstorms in the workplace. Wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home