Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Another Exciting Day in Cairo

I am posting a brief slide show ... I took waaay too many pics today: 155 and video too. Please note that the slideshow goes a bit fast. I can not adjust that. However, you can pause on each image to read the captions.

It was an early start by visiting the Step Pyramids and some others too. Climbing inside the one pyramid was exciting, but not so much once we got inside.

I think we tipped a thousand people today .. okay, maybe a hundred: our guide, the driver, the waitress at Euro Deli, the crazy smoking taxi driver, the woman manning the bathroom, and many more. Oh, well, such is life in Cairo.



We also went to the market. Very large, very dirty, but the architecture of some of the building is amazing. We managed to haggle w/a vendor and got a shirt for me for about $10. Oh, and I know my mom will not come to visit me here. There are cats in Cairo ... lots and lots of roaming cats and if you know me then you are wondering if I will be returning next week ...

The highlight of the day, for me at least, ended up being the traditional Egyptian dance performance: Al Tannoura. The music to accompany the dancers was very good ... upbeat and not just drums, but I'm not sure of the names of the instruments.

The dancers were fabulous and colorful! I plan to see more of that while I am here.

That is it for now ... though I did not post any pics from yesterday and I will definitely post some video because life in Cairo does not quite come across in a still image.

I will be M-I-A until Friday ... taking a day trip to Alexandria. It's about a two hour train ride north of Cairo on the coast of the Mediterranean. Going to hang out there and see the sites.

Thanks for stopping by ...

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger sunshinecardsandjewelry said...

Very nice and busy there for you. Glad your having a great time.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Josee Valcourt said...

Awesome pics though I can't wait to see some of the Nile. By the way, there's a slider button on Picasa that to adjust the duration of each pic in your slide show.

Gosh, a trip to Alexandria sounds spectacular. You are having quite the dandy time. Good for you.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Compassionate Educator said...

OMG KIM, WHEN I SAW YOU IN FRONT OF THAT PYRAMID TEARS CAME TO MY EYES. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, IT TOOK COURAGE for you TO TAKE A LEAP AND EXPERIENCE SUCH CHANGE. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GIRL. WHO KNEW !!! THAT YOU WOULD BE CELEBRATING YOUR BIRTHDAY IN THE CRADLE OF CIVILIZATION. I AM GOING TO STAY WITH YOU. HAVE FUN AND GOD BLESS YOU ON YOUR BIRTHDAY. LOVE, DENISE

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger April Baer said...

Making me want to pack my bags. But hey, you're burying the lead: how's the food???

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Nice slide show! Not hard to tell you're having a great time (-:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home