Thursday, September 24, 2009

BOOK REVIEW: "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell

BOOK REVIEW: "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell (2000)

It's true that I've owned "The Tipping Point" for some time. Never read it. I think I originally bought it in 2005. Who knows. what I do know is that my copy is in storage. However, my friend was cleaning house as she was preparing for a move and she was going to toss the book. So now I own two copies. I promise to share this one.

And it's definitely worth sharing. This is one of those books where I'm thinking "Why didn't I read this sooner." I can't say that it will help me out in my daily life. But I am one of those persons who often thinks about things and wonders "How did that happen"? I'm just curious in that way.

The book is sort of about epidemics and how they happen. When something goes from being a small thing to being a big thing and what 'tips' it into being a big thing. Some examples include fashion trends and the spread of diseases. He also elaborates on how word of mouth messages are passed along. It's fascinating, at least the way he frames it. Gladwell provides countless historical examples of the theory of "The Tipping Point". One of my favorite examples in the book is the story of Paul Revere. Gladwell gives the back story of Revere's message ride and the strength, not just in the message, but the messenger and it's impact.

I am surely recommending "The Tipping Point" as your leisure reading. It only got a bit boring to me in the end when Gladwell wrote at length about the issue of teenage smoking. I just think he went on too long on this topic and he lost my interest.

I'm planning to read "Outliers" in the next few weeks. That's Gladwell's most recent book. I also own "Blink" though that did not grab my attention right way. I've tabled it indefinitely.

And what are you reading?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home