Thursday, March 18, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: "It's Complicated"

MOVIE REVIEW: "It's Complicated" (2009)

I've been wanting to see this movie since it was released in December. My thinking was that with Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin and Meryl Streep, it's got to be a great film. Well, great is not quite it, but it is a really, good movie. Lots of laughter and some laugh out loud moments.

I'm a fan of Alec Baldwin. He's got charm. He's smart and he's handsome. Likewise, I've always been a fan of Steve Martin's. I don't know how many times I've seen "The Jerk". I was just quoting a line the other day from the end of that movie: "I don't need anything else, accept this table ... I don't need anything else ...". So stupid and funny.

Back to "It's Complicated". So I like the guys. I've not been a fan of Meryl Streep's. But I don't dislike her or her work either. Actually, I did like her in several movies including "The Devil Wears Prada". I don't think I've gone to a film just to see her though is what I'm trying to say.

The writing is what stands out in "It's Complicated". The dialogue was conversational and believable. Even the story line was realistic: ex-married couple rekindles relationship after years of being divorced. The writing was a bit awkward at one point though: during the girls night out sessions. It just seemed more forced and unnatural. Not to mention that those characters showed up, what, twice and then no more; that was just one misstep. Overall, Nancy Myers does a good job with the writing; she directed too.

Alec's character did not seem like a stretch for him acting wise, but I still enjoyed him. I'd expected Steve's character to be funny. But that did not happen. And Meryl was just fine. But the sleeper stand out acting in the film was from John Krasinski. He makes these quips that are absolutely hilarious.

Somehow you need to make a note to see this one. It's worth the effort (if there's any effort).

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home