Monday, July 26, 2010

5 Things I Miss About Cairo

I've been away from Cairo for a month. I've been living there for about eight months and I'll be heading back to Cairo from the U.S. in about three weeks; just in time for Ramadan 2010.

As much as we (my colleagues and I) complain about whatever (the heat, the long commute to campus on the bus, teaching long days - though we only teach two days a week, the language barrier, the lack of delicious food, etc.), I was only gone a week and there was a list of things that I miss.

The terrace at my apartment in Cairo. I'd like to decorate more, but the dust is a bit of a problem.

Here they are in no particular order:
  • Moving across the world was a big decision for me. But my friends and colleagues in Cairo have made the transition priceless. I miss our regular get togethers and our spontaneous trips to the market.
  • I miss my apartment in Cairo. Not the yucky smell that emanates from the bathroom, but I have a nice sized apartment w/a full kitchen and an incredibly large, private terrace. Love that.
  • Though I'm learning Arabic, the language barrier is the one of my biggest frustrations. However, thanks to Otlob I can order food online from a wide variety of restaurants w/out the issue of language. Delivery is usually 45 minutes or less and there is a nominal delivery fee. Otlob is awesome.
  • I've never been a world traveler and I still don't consider myself that. However, traveling around Egypt is relatively inexpensive. It took me minute to get in the flow of the traveling but when I jumped in - I jumped in full blast. I've been to Alexandria, Siwa, Dahab, Mt. Sinai, Sharm el Sheikh, Rosetta, the White Desert, Luxor. I've also been to most of the tourist spots in Cairo including those famous pyramids! Can't wait to get back and visit more of the Middle East.
  • Lastly, I love, love, love that you can get nearly any and everything delivered in Cairo and not just from restaurants. I can order groceries over the phone and have them delivered in about 20-30 minutes. Want a nice, tall latte, but you don't want to venture out into the heat, get it delivered. Need your dry cleaning picked up right away; get it delivered. Purchase some large plants in another part of town; get it delivered. This last option is not one that I take advantage of a great deal. Don't want to be too lazy, but it is convenient.
No two days are the same in Cairo unless you never leave your flat. But I am sooo enjoying my life and living there. Of course I get home sick and I've been shopping like crazy while in the States getting some of the things that I can't get in Cairo. But living and working in Cairo has taught me a bit of how to live w/less because really, I can't get everything that I want and need into two large suitcases and a carry-on.

So, if you think I have a list of things that I miss from the States ... you just wait, that blog post is coming.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Visiting from 31dbbb! So cool that u got to live in Cairo. I've heard there are lots of good institutes. I'm living in Saudi but doing online Arabic speaking lessons via skype, my teacher is in Cairo!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Thanks for checking out my blog. Love technology that allows you to be in one place, but your tutor is in another country.

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger Erob wants to know! said...

Sound so good you making me want to come back!! I'm so happy you are maximizing your experiences. Also glad I had some time with you here in Chicago! Thank you for sharing your time! Big hugs for safe return home!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home