Thursday, October 19, 2006

I need some perspective right about now ...

I work with college students - and right about now, I need someone to seriously tell them that they won't be paid a penny to fetch a stick for a fat and lazy daschund if they can't meet a deadline or a due date (well, they won't be paid for very long- everyone gets a chance to screw up; some people get more opps than others depending how close they are on the nepotism chart, right?). Why would I want to pay you to allegedly 'walk' my dog, when you rarely show up on time and the daschund is just getting lazier and fatter and fatter and lazier because you are not holding up your end of the bargain? Though that's more of an example of 'do what you agreed to do' not an example of meeting or missing a scheduled due date ... and you don't have to forgive me for digressing (does my tone here lead you to believe that I am seeking forgiveness ...?).

I mean, that's the deal - I get paid to teach and that means I spend some portion of my summer and winter breaks doing what - you guessed it - creating a syllabus. But what the hell for ...? That is not a complaint, merely - what I signed up for, eh? Did I hear someone say that it is expected that I, the responsible instructor, would comply to deadlines ... whatever? It takes two to tango, baby. Play the role.

And heck, who wants to deal w/the people, nay, students who are spending more time trying to extend a deadline rather than meet the deadline ... ? Not to mention that lack of consideration of me and my schedule ... Deadlines are established for a reason, damn it! Stop piddling around and get the project/assignment done already - and plan accordingly. It's not like anyone is only given a days notice to get the work done ... and I do realize that my class is not the only class that they have, so back up off me ...

Point is, don't even consider asking me to extend a deadline unless there is some overtly extenuating circumstance and that means that old Granny didn't just damn near choke on her dentures, it means that she did indeed choke on her dentures - now, that there is a bonafide reason and not some sorry ass excuse - deadline extension, GRANTED (and my condolences to Granny).

Note to self: check up on Granny ;)

2 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I'm really glad I got both newswraps in by the deadline. Phew. Are you watching GA's tonight?

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Yeah, more folks made the deadline than not, but it is frustrating. Did GA's; it was okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home