Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Movies to see ...

The movie list is stacking up too ... since Oscar season is in full swing, I will try to keep up this year as opposed to waiting for the awards to be handed out and then going to the movies.


So here's how things stack up:


"The Great Debate"
  • I'm a fan of Forrest Whitaker and I like Denzel Washingto and Oprah (who produced the movie); nice to see those young people do their thing as well
  • UPDATE: saw this one; just okay. too formulaic

"The Kite Runner"

  • The book is on my reading list; but it looks as if I might see the movie before I read the book (my preference is for the opposite to occur), but I am just very anxious about this one

"I Am Legend"

  • I do like Will Smith although it does not seem like my style of movie ... I will give it a go

"Look"

  • Oooh, this is one I am definitely going to see! Adam Rifkin has hit the nail on the head w/a movie about how much of our lives is under surveillance - but he tells the story in a fictional way. Cool

"Juno"

  • This one seems interesting; humor gets me every time

"Atonement"

  • I've heard some Oscar buzz about this one, but I'm not a fan of period pieces, so I am on the fence about this one

"Charlie Wilson's War"

"The Bucket List"

  • I like Jack Nicholson; I'm a little warm on Morgan Freeman ... so this one is not high up on the list (and it has not received much love from the critics)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Like you, even though I think Jack is cool, I'm on the fence about Morgan, so I probably won't see "Bucket List." Besides, there really isn't too much original about the story. It's been done time and time again.

I was ready to check out "I Am Legend" when I thought I was just Will battling the elements, the animals, what's left of the world and himself. But then my hubby told me the real deal and I said, I'll wait for the dvd (LOL).

Kite Runner had received a lot of attention, both the book and the movie. I doubt if I could really enjoy either, but only because of the child abuse/rape element. It's difficult for me to view children being robbed of their innocence as either entertaining or educational. Enough of this is going on the real world and it all leaves me feeling helpless, angry and sad.

I enjoyed the Great Debaters. Of course, you're right, it was very predictable & formulaic in some ways. But I think it made some good points, especially for kids and it presented an opportunity to see African Americans (relationships between Black males, young romance, educational environments) in a way that is increasingly atypical on the big or little screen.

The only thing that truly disturbed me about The Great Debaters was my recent discovery that the whole Harvard episode never happened. I know the movie was "inspired" by a true story, but still . . . Also, I thought they should have shown some actual footage or visual profiles of the real individuals played by the actors. If we're going to be about the business of educating folks, why not give the real characters an opportunity to shine?

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I am largely behind on your blog, movies, books, music...I need to catch up!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Lori, at the end of "The Great Debaters" they do highlight the real people and what they are doing or had done w/their lives. I can't recall if that was before or after the full credits. It was nice to see that though.

Thanks for the comments.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Hmm, I saw a written blurb about the characters, but no real footage or pics. Also, I've read the two students who fell for one another in the movie were actually composites, which may explain why they producers didn't go that route--they couldn't (smile).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home