Monday, March 16, 2009

Music Monday 19 :: "Do the Right Thing" 20th Anniversary

This is a topic that I will be writing about again over the next few months.

The 20th Anniversary of the movie "Do the Right Thing". Wow, how the time flies. What were you doing in the summer of 1989? Yeah, I plan to do some vignettes with my friends (and you) on this very question.

A better question is when you realized that this film was not just another Spike Lee Joint? And that it has 'cultural significance' ... as it was deemed in 1999 by the Library of Congress.

What I recall strongly was the title track from the movie. And since this is Music Monday, that is what I will focus on.

"Fight the Power" by Public Enemy is one helluva song. I listen to it often enough and there are lyrics that certainly stand out like "most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps". Chuck D's delivery is masterful and Flava Fav gets his in too ... he usually does.

Here are some "Fight the Power" and "Do the Right Thing" resources:

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home