Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reverb10 :: Friendship

I've decided to be a part of Reverb10. It's a 31-day blogging challenge where you reply to the daily writing prompts that are designed to get you to reflect on this past year as well as provide some insight for the upcoming year. I'm going to give myself 5-7 minutes for each post.

Day 16 :: December 16, 2010 :: Friendship
  • How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst? (Author: Martha Mihalick)
I'm just going to respond to this prompt in a general sense and not specifically. This is not my best post for Reverb10 AND I could not find a picture that was a good fit. Oh, well ...

I have some wonderful friends in the U.S. Love them all and appreciate their contribution to my life. I tell them this all the time. And even though I now live in Cairo, we still manage to help the friendship grow. There's nothing like getting these urgent sounding voicemails from various parts of the U.S. Or getting a series of email messages saying 'call me'. You know how it is. We live in a world now of instant access. If I call your mobile phone, which you always have with you, why aren't you taking my call? What could you possibly be doing?

Being a long distance close friend is sooo not the same as getting a call that some crackhead broke into your friend's house and you're there in at her house in about 10 minutes (true story).

I said that I would do better, but the time difference is tough to deal with. Sometimes I just can't find the energy to say up and make phone calls and get caught up w/my friends. So, I'll challenge myself to try again to do better for 2011.

Meanwhile, I'm slowly crafting this small community of friends in Cairo. It's relatively easy to meet up w/colleagues, but I'm trying to break out of that comfort zone. Time to meet some fresh faces and explore a little more.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home