Sunday, December 03, 2006

Why is it ...

...that people show up to places that demand some sort of quiet disposition for some extended amount of time and they can't handle it?

What am I talking about, you say? You know, the movies, the theatre, etc.

So I drag myself to campus to see some student directed plays. I was feeling awfully bad: headache, fever, misery ... But I go to support my department and some of my students. It did not have to be a sneering and agitating evening, but it was - in part because of a rude theatre-goer; a student! Did the disrespectful student sit behind me? Now, what do you think?

There was a great deal of crumpling papers and candy wrappers; slurping from some beverage (you know the sound when using a straw and there is nothing left in the container ... btw, who permitted beverages in the theatre anyway?).

Then said student has some large bag and consistently hit me in the head with it. When it was time for intermission, I turn around and blantantly ask "Let me see who keeps hitting me in the head ...". The 'can't-sit-still' student does apologize.

I just don't get the rudeness. In order for people to hear what is going on on stage, it should be quiet in the audience. I resisted the urge to glare at the disruptive student after the intermission, when they continued to ruffle papers and wiggle around.

So I ask myself (and you), where do you learn theatre etiquette?

Enough about the 'not-so-postive' threatre experience. You want to know how the plays were, now don't you? I am going to withhold comment ...

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Lori said...

The noisy folks always have a way of finding you--don't they? (smile)

The hubby and I were at the movies once . . . We'd gone early and on a weekday in hopes of avoiding the crowds. Upon taking our seats, we found the theater virtually empty. But shortly before the preview of coming attractions, in struts a brother who decides to sit in the row RIGHT BEHIND ours.

Okay, that might not have been SO BAD had ole boy not taken it upon himself to HOOT and HOLLER (like somebody who wasn't wrapped too tight) throughout the entire doggone preview of coming attractions. I'm saying, the way dude was carrying on, you'da thought he had a front row seat at Russell Simmon's Def Comedy Jam and Bruce, Bruce or somebody was up on stage straight cuttin' up (LOL)!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

I almost went there myself. I, too, have had that experience. Do we expect too music as movie/theatre goers...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home