Friday, September 21, 2007

Huffin and Puffin

So, one of my New Year's resolutions was to run a 5k or a 10k. I want to check that off of my list as the latter part of the year is nearing and nearing time to make another list.

But I don't know that I can honestly check it off the list so quickly. I did make an attempt. Yes, I did. I was looking for a race to run and I remembered that there was one on Saturday morning, but I could not get myself in gear quick enough to get out of the house and to the running venue.

So I searched for another, possibly on Sunday morning. I found one and did a Google map on it to see if it was easy to get to. The cost was also reasonable: $2, but honestly, I thought that was a typo.

Before I headed off to bed on Saturday evening, I gathered my running gear (except for my shoes because I could not locate them; I would look again in the morning or just put on my old everyday sneakers).

Everything went as scheduled: the alarm went off at a just a bit past 8 a.m.; I hit snooze and closed my eyes, but I did get up when the snooze went off for a second time; I washed up and got dressed; I double checked the directions (then decided to use my cell phone GPS) and I headed off to the race which had a start time of 9:30 a.m .

I got the the race site 15 minutes before the start of the race, only to discover that no one was there. I was totally disappointed. I finally saw a woman sitting in her car and I asked her. After some chit chat, I ventured off to locate the race venue - turns out it was to begin at another section of the park.

It was a nice long race ... I know that it was a 5k and they are all 3.1 miles, but this seemed like a much longer race - lots of swirly trail and peaks and valleys and some huffin and puffin on my behalf. I started off running, but gradually took to a brisk walk; which is precisely how I finished the race ... no proud moment, no photo finish ...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home