Monday, October 20, 2008

PCPGH 3 Post Mortem - Day 1

Wow, I did not have any expectations for Podcamp Pittsburgh (PCPGH3) and that is not a bad thing. I was indeed excited at the prospect so maybe there was some level of expectation. The sessions looked interesting and that was enough for me.

So here is what I got out of it:
  • met lots and lots of great folks
  • gained new knowledge about social media and podcasting
  • identified many resources
That's in addition to two days of free breakfast and lunch (and even FREE parking one day).

Here are some of the sessions that I attended on Saturday-Day 1 and some info that I glaumed from them.

SATURDAY
Podcasting 101
I probably should not have been in this session. I have a good amount of knowledge on the topic, but I thought I'd get some new info since technology changes rapidly

Taking Your Audio to the Next Level

Podsafe Music
I came in late to this session, but I was able to pick up a few things like:

Using Analytics
I use Google Analytics as well as Stat Counter. It was nice to know that one of the first things that the session leader mentioned was that all the stats will differ for each service. Some key points that he mentioned:
  • What do you want people to do?
  • What if they don't do it?
  • Constantly re-evaluate what you are doing
  • What leads to an exit?
Here are two other stat sites that he mentioned:
Oh, and check out compete.com to see what the competition is doing.


Which Web 2.0 Tools to Use for What

I did like this session, but the session leader was highlighting info from the PCPGH webbie on Socal Media, so I thought I'd check that out later and went to another session.


Podcast Hosting and your Blog
These types of sessions are always interesting because the session leader will typically focus on what they use the most. For example, if they have a PC and use Word Press for blogging, which was the case here, but it could be they have a Mac and use Moveable Type for blogging. However, there was a lot of info to garner from this session. Since I came it late, it was nice that many of the resources discussed were written on the white board.
  • Blip.tv: like YouTube but not including better quality video; good for audio too
  • Talkshoe.com: for call in shows
  • Blogtalk.com: also for call in shows
  • Gcast.com
  • Tubemogul.com: for video, but I think audio too
  • filezilla: for file hosting (an extension of Mozilla)
  • pod press: for podcasting via Word Press
  • fantastical.com: for transferring a blog from one place to another; or other complex web issues
My apology ... just got tired of linking.

My note taking could be much better. I have other tidbits scribbled on my notepad including a note to check out: moo.com. I had my sis check it out before I had a chance and she seemed to think it was pretty cool.

Okay, that's it for one day. At least from the sessions. I gathered even more info from talking to folks and getting their biz cards and just chatting it up.

Check back tomorrow for Sunday-Day 2's breakdown at Podcamp Pittsburgh.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming to my session on improving your audio! You just reminded me that I need to publish my recap of #PCPGH3

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well Done !!

You got more out of it than I did, but I'm a newbie and was fascinated by the beauty of the city. My friend, Web Guy Bri was a graduate of the school that hosted the show, so there were underlining efforts to explore the city. But I'm with you on the fact that it was a great free event that actually taught me and motivated me to seek more. Thanks Kim

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Pomy said...

With respect to a USB mic, I see that plantronics has made your list. I have nothing against them, I am only familiar with their phone headset products. So I would guess their headset mic system should be pretty good.

But if you think you might be interested in a mic for taking out and about or producing a show, I'd like to throw in a recommendation for this one by Audio Technica. And here are some reviews for it.

Cheers!

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger House Forlorn said...

Good overview, Radiogirl!

..HF.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home