Monday, April 06, 2009

Music Monday 22 :: Marvin Gaye's "If I Should Die Tonight"

Here's a bit of a throwback: 1973 Marvin Gaye "If I Should Die Tonight". This is an incredible ballad. Marvin really uses his vocal range on this one.

The song is not as morbid as the title indicates. It's really about a guy who is apparently head over heels in love w/his girl. He says, "If I should die tonight, I won't die broke, cause I've known you". It's a strongly written song. Love it.

It came to my attention a while back when I lived and worked in Cincinnati and my then boyfriend put it on my radar. I have been smitten w/the track since then. It's not one of the mainstream Marvin Gaye tracks ... just don't know how this one escaped the public eye. Actually, I do know how this one got buried: it's keeping company with "Distant Lover", "Come Get to This", as well as the title track ... the classic "Let's Get it On".

Check out the lyrics to "If I Should Die Tonight".


If I Should Die Tonight - Marvin Gaye

Let me know what you think of this one.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home