Monday, May 11, 2009

Music Monday 27 :: Oleta Adams

Oleta Adams ... that's a blast from the past, right? But I'm sure that when you think of her, you also think of her outstanding cover of the ballad "Get Here (If You Can)". I only vaguely remember that the song was originally done by Brenda Russell. But Oleta put her spin on it, for sure.

"Get Here" is from 1990's "Circle of One" though "Get Here" wasn't released until 1991.

What do I like about the track? The piano! The piano at the beginning sets the tone ... nice and smooth and soothing. I like the lyrics too ... so many ways to "Get Here" ... "I don't care how you get here, just get here if you can." So simple. The song also does that start out slow and mellow and then crescendo's near the end, then mellows out again. Not unique, but effective.

I saw her perform it live once at the Finger Lakes outdoor venue in New York. She's got some pipes.


Get Here - Oleta Adams

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home