Thursday, May 21, 2009

To Learn WordPress or not?

I've been toying with the idea of doing a blog using WordPress. I want to use the WordPress.org version and not the WordPress.com version. I'm a newbie to this, so if you don't understand the difference between .org and .com, then you will have to look it up as I may screw up the primary differences between the two.

I do know that the .org version allows for creating multiple pages and thus gives your blog more of a Web site feel. That's a sellable point for me. I want multiple pages.

But then I have to slow my roll. I've heard about the nightmares w/WordPress installs. I don't really want to work w/code. I know a little about it, but I'm a content creator and I don't want to have to hassle w/the code, at least not all of the time.

I don't want the learning curve of learning a new program especially a program like WordPress whose knowledge base runs sea deep. What I do know is that if I do fully go the WordPress route, I will not be transferring from Blogger to WordPress. I am just too afraid that I would lose information in the transition.

I currently have three blogs and a Web site. I contribute to other webbies as well. So adding WordPress at this time could just eat up my time. Time that I could be using to create blog posts and create other multimedia.

WordPress will be there and I will use it in the most bare bones way for now. For all of you WordPress fans ... I appreciate what you're doing. Maybe I'll join your ranks in the next year or so.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Josee Valcourt said...

I had no effing clue there even existed a wordpress.org. You're always shining the light. Thanks a ton. Just checked it out and although I can't explain the difference between org vs. com, but it looks like org has more themes and is definitely for the big wigs. I so want to be a big wigs. How many hours will it take me to be a big wig??? Ugh, perhaps thousands or millions. OK, enough of my drivel on your blog. Thanks for the post.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Josee Valcourt said...

Um...disregard the typos in my previous comment post. Peace.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

You pretty much figured out the difference between .com and .org. Most people want versatility and individuality.

You'll be a WordPress pro in no time. I have not yet played with it though I did attend WordCamp a few weeks ago.

Do share what you learn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home