Monday, January 10, 2011

Reverb10 :: Achieve

I've decided to be a part of Reverb10. It's a 31-day blogging challenge where you reply to the daily writing prompts that are designed to get you to reflect on this past year as well as provide some insight for the upcoming year. I'm going to give myself 5-7 minutes for each post.

Day 28 :: December 28, 2010 :: Achieve
  • What's the thing you most want to achieve next year? How do you image you'll feel when you get it? Free? Happy? Complete? Blissful? Write that feeling down. Then, brainstorm 10 things you can do, or 10 new thoughts you can think, in order to experience that feeling today. (Author: Tara Sophia Mohr)
I want to continue to read books for leisure. I'm amazed at how many people I know who haven't read a book (front to back) in years. Who does that? Well, apparently my friends. The good news is that I'm in a reading group. And although I live and work away from my group, I still keep up w/the readings and I submit my comments in advance. I also ask for a recap from the group and I call at least one of the members for other missing deets from the recap.

Books on the Literary Sistas reading list for 2011 (Jan., 2011)

We mostly read fiction, which I love. We've only read books by African-American authors. Love that too. Our reading list for this year seems amazing. So excited about it:
  • Let the Lion Eat Straw by Ellease Southerland (Paperback) 171 pp
  • Powder Necklace: A Novel by Nana Ekua Brew-Hammond (Paperback) 304 pp
  • Glorious by Bernice L. McFadden (Paperback) 240 pp
  • Wench: A Novel by Dolen Perkins-valdez (Hardcover) 304 pp
  • 32 Candles: A Novel by Ernessa T. Carter (Hardcover) 352 pp
  • The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives: A Novel by Lola Shoneyin (Hardcover) 288 pp
I have most of the books on this year's reading list for my group and I've already begun to read one of the books. So, I'm off to a good start.

I'm saying I want to do this like the fact that my friends have fallen off will rub off on me. Not gonna happen. I will, however, mix in some other books along w/the my reading groups selections. Matter of fact, I've been reading "Who Stole the News?: Why We Can't Keep Up With What Happens in the World and What We Can Do About It". Just want to read a bit of non-fiction too.

My Good Reads list is current as is my Shelfari on Facebook. Now, I'll just have to see if I can continue to post the book review that usually goes along w/my completed readings because ... I did fall off in that regard last year.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Bernice L. McFadden said...

Happy New Year! Thanks so much for including Glorious on your reading. Please let your members know that there are several autographed copies of Glorious and Sugar at:
Barnes & Nobel
1739 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43212

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Lola Shoneyin said...

Thank you, Radiogirl! And Happy new Year to you from Nigeria. xx

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Thanks for the comments.

Bernice: my group's in Cleveland and not Columbus, but I'll let them and others know about the signed copies. I think my group has read all of your books.

Just finished "32 Candles" and it was so much fun to read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home