Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Oh, the web we weave ...

I have so much to blog about, but I am going to have focus.

Don Imus - shock jock made some insensitive comments about the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team who lost to the University of Tennessee in the NCAA Women's Final Four in Cleveland, Ohio.

I want to say that I don't have much to say on this topic and that is true. But here is a synopsis of what I've thought on this topic:

  • I am not surprised about his comments about the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team
  • I am not certain that his apology is sincere
  • I am thinking that he is a bigot and does not fully recognize the attributes of bigotry or that he possesses the characteristics of a bigot
  • I am glad that the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team held a press conference so that people can see that they are human beings and not just a nameless, faceless group of people
  • I am impressed that the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team plans to meet with Imus
  • I totally see how Imus could be flippant with his remark; as the rap/hip hop genre has surely used the term with nothing but derogatory connotations
  • A two week suspension is not nearly enough time for an egregious comment of this magnitude
  • What type of affect will this situation have on advertisers on Imus' show? And will that affect be shortlived like the Nike/Kobe relationship?
  • I'd love to see a spoof on this on The Boondocks

Pacman Jones - NFL football player (Titans) has had several run-ins with the law; as a result the NFL has suspended him for the entire 2007 football season without pay.

Additionally, the NFL suspended Chris Henry (Bengals) for eight games.

  • This really sets a precedent! I am surprised that the NFL finally to a stance on this issue
  • Will this suspension send a message to other athletes to get their lives in order?
  • But what is Pacman really guilty of? True, he's been arrested and charged, but what has been the outcome of those charges?

That's all for now ... more to come!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home