Monday, May 07, 2007

Commencement - time I will never get back ...

I attended commencement on Saturday at Muskingum College; rather I was a part of the processional. I usually attend as I am required to do so, and one of my colleagues so casually noted today that participating in the graduation ceremonies are a part of the Faculty Handbook (this is NOT the handbook for my school, but they all usually contain similar language); this mention coming as I arrived 45 minutes prior to commencement, having missed Baccalaureate (I can do one or the other, but not both).

Well, I did get dressed in record time. I keep a gown/robe hanging on the back of my office door in the event that I have to 'throw it on' and appear official (which has never happened; but it has been at the ready when I am running late for those occasions that require being in full regalia). I usually have difficulty assembling my hood, mostly because I want it to hang just so ... This was my last commencement, but it had no special meaning to me. I had a couple of advisees who finished up, but generally speaking, from my perspective, NBD. I do, however, have an affinity for Pomp and Circumstance. It just has a nice ring to it.

However, I did take a liking to the commencement speaker. He was fun and funny and brief! Love that. Also, I sat next to a colleague who had a sense of humor; we did not talk throughout the ceremony, but when comments were made, a smile usually followed.

I like when it is all said and done and the faculty line up to receive the new alum. It's exciting to see them complete an important phase in their young lives. It was also a bit amusing to see the women come through near limping; having chosen the wrong pair of shoes to wear on this drawn out day of accomplishment.

I did make haste to get away with the call to other commitments; which was true. I'll do another commencement, but hopefully it will be to add more regalia. Otherwise, I prefer to listen and/or watch as opposed to sitting through what is often a long and boring event. Though it is time where I can sit and clear my mind ...

I'd like to tell the story of the student who's 'walking in commencement' fate was left in my hands, but I'm sure that there is something in the Faculty Handbook that prohibits disclosing a student's academic standing outside of the walls of academia; oooh, but it is such a good story ... one I will relish telling in another month or two ...

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Beth said...

You can't start off a story like that and leaving us hanging! BTW, sorry I didn't get to chat with you after, my parents ran me out of there with no time to spare. I have a card for you, so let me know if you ever want to grab some coffee!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Beth ... you are the best. It was really nice to have you around and sort of contrary to the post, nice to see you get your degree!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home