Thursday, January 17, 2008

Music ... being open-minded

My friend Darryl, Who's done a couple of podcasts with me is a bona fide fan of Michelle Ndegeocello. It's not that I am not a fan, I just like for my music to have more beats, which I really enjoyed on "Cookie: The Anthropological Mixtape". However, I was underwhlemled with "Comfort Woman" (that put me in a near Rip Van Winkle slumber).

What I will say (and it is not a ground-breaking observation) is that Ndegeocello can not and will not be musically categorized. The fact that she can be a beat provider or a mellow driven serenader is a wonderful talent and I admire that.

I am intrigued by the title of her latest project "The World Has Made Me The Man Of My Dreams". I will definitely get around to listening to this one and probably in the next few weeks. I have to listen to it to determine if I like it or not and it could very well be the best thing in the musical pot, right?

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger suomynona said...

Meshell's new album definitely won't put you in a "slumber."

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Lori said...

I like a lot of Meshell N.'s work. Not sure why I haven't purchased more of it. I do own "Plantation Lullabies" and still think brother McKnight needs to own up about stealing "Outside My Door" (LOL).

Several months ago I copped a copy of "Dance of the Infidel." A couple of the songs are true gems: "The Chosen" featuring Cassandra Wilson on vocals and "Heaven" with Lalah Hathaway. But I'm somewhat partial to female jazz vocalists.

Meshell's new one? Not sure about that title (LOL). But as an artist, I do appreciate Meshell's edginess as well as her willingness to push buttons and take chances with her work.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger ohradiogirl said...

Very good points about pushing boundaries in music so that we don't get more cookie cutter sounds - which I despise (but sometimes it's my guilty pleasure).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home