Saturday, January 10, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: "Seven Pounds" (SPOILER ALERT)

MOVIE REVIEW: "Seven Pounds"

Well, I figure that this movie has been out for a couple of weeks and now I can express how I really feel about it.

I went to see "Seven Pounds" the day that it opened in theaters. I'd seen Will Smith, the star of the movie, on the talk show circuit - Oprah, David Letterman, Jay Leno - and I was smitten w/him. However, no one really talked about the movie and I became intrigued w/the mystery of not knowing what the movie was about. I did not even try to think about what they were not telling me.

Well, how about I did not like the ending (i.e. the mystery)! No way. This movie made it clear to me how I feel about suicide. Which is what Smith's character, Ben, decided to do w/his life at the end of the film all in the name of redemption. It was pretty obvious to me that he was doing a pretty good job of helping people while he was alive. I can understand some depression and the need to assist the woman who he began to fall in love with, but all the pre-mediated parts just made me ill. And w/a jellyfish ... !? Come on.

The movie was at least 30 minutes too long and it was sooooo slow that I did something that I rarely do, I checked my cell phone to see what time it was and to see if I had any text messages.

I did enjoy Rosario Dawson's character, Emily. She comes off as strong and personable. Though the plot that focuses on Woody Harrelson's character, Ezra, just came up short. Seems like it was mostly edited away.

I know that many, many people really enjoyed this movie and cried and came away w/a sense of purpose and so did I. I do have an appreciation for living and I don't take that for granted. I just think that the movie sends a negative message attached to the message of redemption. And I definitely don't think that teenagers should see the film because sometimes they feel guilt over the slightest things and they could wipe themselves out all in the name of "Seven Pounds".

Wow ... I'm glad I got that weight off my shoulders.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home