Thursday, November 20, 2008

BOOK REVIEW: "Prospero's Daughter" by Elizabeth Nunez

"Prospero's Daughter" by Elizabeth Nunez is well written. I did, however, find it troubling in many ways.

I read this book for my October reading group. I did not finish in time for the discussion, and fortunately I did not mind hearing some of the details, but that's because I had already predicted the ending (and I was right).

The topics and issues that arise in this novel are race, class and sexual abuse. When I read, I don't always expect happiness or happy endings for that matter, but the amount of vile acts in this book was a bit disturbing for me. Maybe that says more about me and my disposition than anything else.

I think Nunez wrote a wonderful book. Could she have done it in less than 300+ pages? Certainly. There was much description about the island of Trinidad which I enjoyed until I got near the end when I just wanted it to be over - both what I thought was going to happen and my reading the book.

For some, this book will strike a cord on the Shakespearean level. As Prospero is a character in the play "The Temptest". Maybe that mention gives away too much, but it is still a good read.

You can read an excerpt of "Prospero's Daughter" on the publisher's website. The excerpt is the start of the book. I'd be curious to know what you think of it ...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home