Friday, November 28, 2008

MOVIE REVIEW: "Soul Men"

MOVIE REVIEW: "Soul Men"

Do you ever go to a movie and then wonder "what made me go see that movie?" Well, that is not the case for me and "Soul Men". I know that I went to see Bernie Mac. I'm a big fan of his. However, I don't know if I would have gone to the theater to see this movie if he were alive. You've seen the movie trailers, you know what I mean. It just seems like one that might be best for viewing at home and at a lesser expense.

And it is what is seems - a shuck and jive flick. Unfortunately for me, I was a bit late and missed about 10 minutes of the beginning of the movie. I hate when that happens. However, this movie is predictable in so many ways, one being that they use the 'buddy movie' formula. Not a bad thing, but again predictable.

There were however a sizable amount of laughs. There are also some times when they are trying too hard and when there are just lulls in the movie. But back to the laughs. Bernie Mac and Samuel L. Jackson work well together. Made me think why haven't they been in a movie together before this? They're a good fit. But Bernie could fit in in most places, in my opinion.

The storyline was okay. And despite it's predictability, the ending did have a WTH - what the heck? - moment. Kinda funny too. Of course I won't be a spoiler and tell you all of the details because I know that you will get a chance to see the movie in, what, six weeks or so, if that. Yes, the turnaround from theater to DVD has decreased substantially.

Oh, but one of the best parts of the movie is the credits. While the main credits are rolling, they play footage of Bernie Mac and some footage of Issac Hayes too. It's heart warming and not meant to be sad ... Just good memories. Thanks Malcolm Lee.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was at my dad's house last year, and i saw something quite odd. it was a short stack of "shuck and jive" flicks..."the watermelon heist" and a few other doosies. this is the same guy who just bought a tv after not owning one since 1970. crazy.

btw, i forgot you had this blog...i've been reading your other blog though, the hiphop one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home